Tuesday 31 July 2012

Satoshi becomes Musulim? サトシ・ダテがイスラム教に?in English/日本語訳


An Islam guy, yes, neighbour, yes, he is my friend. He is becoming more religious than before. He is from Uganda and he keeps stopping me and chat every time we meet. Then ask  “where is that Italian chic?” about my Italian friend.  A week ago, someone rang the doorbell, and I opened, then it was him. He was going to say something but hesitating. “aha, he wants something from me” I just felt by my intuition.
He begins “well, I don’t know why, but your face come up in my mind,, I need to ask a favour,” he started talking but at the end he wants 500Pounds from me. “that is quite a lot” I said to him. “It’s not really nice if you call me a friend and you need to ask money” I added, “ well, that is very true. If it’s too much to ask, it’s ok, but I know it, this will end soon, will sort everything out soon. I will ask somebody, and I will let you know if I sort it.” He said so and disappear from the main black door.

Two hours later, the door was banged many times.  When I opened, it was him again, with his turban, full of smile, his five fingers were in the air waiting for my another five. Seemed like he was like that position for several 10 seconds.  “heeey Satoshiiii”
His friend was going to lend him money.
“Well, if I offered, you would have to have a strict contract with me, and you might end up with doing seppuku in front of me, so it is better like this way.”
I said.
“yes yes, that is right. Anyway it is good at the end”
“oh by the way, do you want to come to pray in the mosque this Thursday? There will be some food!”
Oh again, when it comes to sort of religious invitation, they always say there will be tea, coffee, god or food. No matter what, Christian or Hindu.
I said without any expression “ I might go if I can go. “
Then the day came, His friend brought the car to pick me up. I’d never been to Mosque, so I decided to go.

East from my house. I arrived at temporary build mosque which reminds me some kinda cult in Japan. My friend explained to me politely everything what I have to do there, like how to wash my body before I enter the mosque.
Prayed and entred the place to hear the priest (sorry don know how to say) speech. There were some people who only understand English, there are some rooms for English and Arabic. They translates at the same time of while priest is having speech.  I went to English one. Many people are sitting on the floor.  When I looked up the ceiling, it looked like they are damaged and almost falling down.  When I was sketching the room. The old guy next to me approached me, and said “oh, I thought you are making a note” like he was making a fool of me or not good attitude in this room. My friend excused for me “He is an artist”
(for me, sketching is kind of making note) I spoke to the old follower in my mind.

I tried to listen but sometimes Arabic language was mixed, so it was hard to understand. I figured out that what they say was not so different from what Christian people teach.
I thought everyone was listening very carefully, but it wasn’t.  Sleeping people, let the mobile rung people. (I wonder how they gain the number of followers in such a way.) 
It seems relaxing version of Christianity I looked at the old guy who spoke to me before, His face was tilting towards the carpet. Hmm very peaceful.  After the 1 hour teaching. Everybody started having a greeting each other. People who picked me up, were going back home. My friend wanted me to eat some food here. We decided to stay. I went to toilet and that was Indian toilet…  ( I guess many Bangladesh here) . I felt like I came back to India again. Plastic sheet for picnic was unfold everwhere, and people who brought some food in the supermarket plastic bag started laying their food. Islam Picnic!

We found the place and sat. Everyone try to feed me kindly. The Turkish guy said “I washed my hand, so it’s ok” and he grabs the curry or rice and put on my plate. He keeps saying the same sentence and sharing to others. He keeps saying he washed.. so made me worry but I just didn’t think anything horrible and just started eating.
They need to pray 5 times a day, so on the way back by car we went to the different mosque (tiny). Then I did 3 times that day.   I crossed the line when everybody was praying, someone told me off not to do it. ( I see there are some rules)

It was 1km away from our house, so we walked back together. He was explained to me many things about Islam, but I didn’t really get them. When we were about saying goodbye. I said to him about his empty can “Can I through away for you?” “oh you do recycling?” he asked. “You don’t know about it? We are in the same area.” Then he said “ well, I know about it, but I don’t know how..” “so you through all these in the normal rubbish bin?” I was surprised and asked.
It is surprising that he doesn’t know how to do it when you were living in the area for long time.

Many great things (seems to be) were told by him, but it is interesting that basic and fundamental matters around his life are not sort it. Also, about he was asking me money.  Religious(?) Christian, I often meet them, but sometimes what they say and do are don’t match most of the time. So I don’t know what the religion really helps or bring to their own life.



近所に住んでる友達はここ数年で敬虔なイスラム教になり始めている。ウガンダ出身で道端でよく声をかけてくる。会うたびに前に僕と一緒に歩いていたイタリア人の女の子がどこにいるか尋ねる。この前、ドアベルを誰かが鳴らしたので開けると彼だった。なにかいいたそうにしている。(頼みごとだな、と直感で思う)

「なんだかわからないけど、君の顔が浮かんでね。頼みがあるんだけど」 いろいろと話をするが結局500ポンドほどお金が必要だそうだ。「それは大金だね。」と僕は言う。「友達にお金を貸してくれって言うのはあまり好ましい行為じゃないんじゃない?」と付け加えると。「いや、まったくそうなんだよね、いやだめならいいんだ。わかってるんだよ、こんなこともすぐに解決できるってね。他をあたってみるよ、いい知らせがあったらまた来るね。」彼がそういって黒い玄関のドアから去る。

2時間後、まだドアをけたたましく誰かが叩く。あけるとターバンを巻いて慢心の笑みの彼が僕の手に叩かれるのを待つ5本指と一緒に現れる。まるでその場にその格好で数10秒止まっていたかのようだった。「へーい、サトシー。」
友達がお金を貸してくれることになったそうだ。
「ぼくが頼みをきいてたら、契約書も書かされて、最後には切腹させられたかもしれないからよかったんじゃないか?」と話した。
「いや、たしかにそうだね。まあとにかく良かった」
「あのさ、今度イスラム教の大きな礼拝があるから来ないか?食べ物もでるよ。」
何かの勧誘はいつもお茶、コーヒー、神様、食べ物があるっていうんだな。キリスト教もヒンズー教も。
「いけたら行く。」と感情なしに返事をする。
そしてその日が来て車が迎えに来る。いちどもイスラム教のモスクには行った事がなかったので行ってみることにする。

家から東に離れた、日本のカルトを想像させるようなプレハブのモスクに着く。かれはとても丁寧に体の洗い方やなにをするかなど説明してくれる。
礼拝をして、説教の部屋に行く。英語しかわからない人もいるので英語の同時通訳の部屋、アラビア語といろいろ部屋にわかれているようだ。僕は英語の部屋に行く。大勢の人が絨毯の上にあぐらをかいて座っている。天井を見るとぼろぼろで今にも落ちてきそうだ。ぼくがスケッチをしていると年寄りの信者が、横から、「なんだなんかメモでもしているのかと思った」と馬鹿にしたように、不謹慎だというように言う。友達は「彼はアーティスト何だ。」と助ける。
(スケッチするのも僕にとってはメモなんだけどな)と心の中で信者に語る。
説教に集中するがアラビア語もまざって、聞き取りにくかった、でもいっていることはキリスト教とあまり変わらない気がした。

一見みんな熱心に聴いているようだがそうでもなかった、寝ている人もいれば、携帯を鳴らすひとなど。(良くこんな感じで信者が増えるな、リラックスしたキリスト教みたいだ)と思う。 先ほどの老人の顔はすでに絨毯にむかって俯いていっていた。 うーん。平和だ。 1時間後説教が終わると、みんなが挨拶しあう。車で迎えに来てくれた人たちはもう帰るようだった。僕に食事を食べていってもらいたいということで、留まることにした。 トイレに行くがこれまたインド式(バングラディッシュ系が多いからだろう)。またインドに来たような気がした。ピクニックのマットがそこらじゅうにしかれて、スーパーの袋に入っていた食事をみんなが出し始める。イスラムピクニックだ。

場所を見つけて座るとみんな快く分けてくれる。トルコ系の男が「手は洗ったから大丈夫。」といって鷲掴みでとったカレーやご飯をぼくのプレートに山盛りにする。他の人にも同じようにいって渡す、しきりにいうのでやたら怪しかったがなにも考えずおいしいカレーをご馳走になる。1日5回礼拝しなくてはいけないので僕らの家の近くにある小さなモスクへ車で移動する。これで僕はこの日計3回も礼拝をした。僕はそこで礼拝をしているところを横切ってはいけないと、注意される。(なるほどいちおうルールはあるのね。)

帰りは1kmくらい家からあったので友達と歩いて帰る。いろいろとイスラム教について語ってもらうがやはりぴんとこない。別れ際に彼が飲んだ空き缶を「捨てておこうか?」と尋ねる。「なに、リサイクルしてるの?」と聞く。「おなじ地域でしょ、そんなことも知らないの?」「あることは知っているけどどうやったらいいかしらないんだよね」「じゃあごみと一緒に捨ててるの?」

何年も同じ地域に住んでてリサイクルの仕方も知らないのは驚きだった。
いろいろとイスラム教の偉大なことは話してくれたが結構肝心な生活のことがおろそかだったりするのは興味深い。お金のこともそうだが。敬虔(?)なキリスト教徒に良く会うが、彼らの言っていることとやっていることが違ったりすると、いったい彼の宗教は彼らの生活にどんな効果をもたらしているのかよくわからないときがある。



No comments:

Post a Comment