Sunday 26 August 2012

First Time Being In India Part 11(Organic Farm20120306) /初めてのインド Part11 (オーガニックファーム2012年3月6日) in English/ in 日本語 


We woke up at 7:30am. I woke up and get out the room.  I felt like I am in the new world again, new order, new routine and fresh air. I hated trips in the nature with other people when I was in a primary school, I adored my mother, so without her, I panicked. And all my close friends in a class look evil and mean, even they weren’t. Making fire for cooking, dancing together, sleeping together and waking up together. And yes eating together. Like a children army. I hated.

Everybody was sleeping.  Everybody start waking up, French girl were the last one, Me and American boy started helping the workers. 3 of the workers without sandals climb up the high branches and cut the branches by middle sized sickles. I carefully picked them up as I was afraid of big branches or sickles to fall down on my head accidently, after that we had a breakfast, porridge, I accidently put salt instead of sugar. 

After breakfast, we helped carrying heavy stone sticks (thickness 50cm, width 50cm and length 2m,probably 70kg , others said more than 100kg ) in the dug holes made by their hoes and we put the metal wires to make a fence, but American boy American boy did not get it, also I didn’t, because why do we need to use this heavy stones just to put wires? I guess it is Indian Style, I found this is very inefficient. Maybe because of they are in developing country? They are not efficient, like cars drive so messily in the city, if they drive normally probably there is less traffic. I guess culture thing?

After lunch break, we follow the one of the farmers ( I guess the door man as her family lives in front of main door, so I call him door man) we went to the main door. There was his house, only two rooms, made by concrete or clay, a woman covered by green Indian dress, two beautiful children, girl and boy.

All of the volunteer jumped on the big track and everytime the doorman stopped the track we put the cut leaves in the track, only specific plants which cut beforehand by volunteers. It was quite tiring, but was fun to be in the track, we were all smiling and laughing like we were in the amusement park. Shaking shaking.

On the way to compost place American boy showed me a fruit of amla


and Lemon tree, the lemon tree’s leaves had so nice smell. Amla, I did not want to try that time as it was so bitter when I’d tried pickled one in the morning,  I put it in my pocket, although the track  was full of leaves, the man kept asking us to pile them, I just realised that this is normal in India. All the volunteers did not get it, but I was a bit afraid all the western people might think Japanese culture is also strange, as western think this is strange(I also think this is strange…) but yes I bet we have some craziness we have in Japan. Craziness is, in a way, everywhere.  If you compare your country to other ones…  I remember in the city in India, there are crazy amount of things on the top of bicycles, cars or motorcycles. American boy told me that he saw 2m high piled chair on the motor bike…


This isn’t efficient at all, end up with all the piled leaves will fall on the way to compost site…  there are things inefficient in England,too, these kinds of things make people more busy or humanised?  Being efficient is more human or opposite? More modern? Advanced? But England is advanced country but compare to Japan? Is it good or bad to be efficient?
After the work I wanted to go to swimming pool, I need to climb up so slope to get to the pool, finally I got there, but pool was so dirty and I could see some insects are swimming comfortably in there. We did not want to go inside…I wanted to see her half naked with underwear in the pool… maybe next time…


At the dinner, Boss’s wife asked American boy to put the bowl back where it was outside in the kitchen. He took the bowl from outside dining table to the kitchen. He did not understand well, but he said sorry and he put the bowl on the ground by the dog, Perhaps, lady did not want anything dirty(?it was on the table anyway???) in the kitchen. The chef servant asked what this bowl is doing near the dog, I just start laughing because he put outside but not that much outside. He was embarrassed, We didn’t get it… the lady asked us to use spoon for serving the food… yes, that is normal but we eat by hands!!! (she never asked us to wash hands) French girl said yes yes French people are dirty! But you eat with hands anyway, I said there are many things contradictive here.  Canadian Girl agreed.  French girl started talking, “well, if my mother saw me eating by hands, she will shout at me! What are you doing? You are pig???!” Everybody laughed. 

ぼくは7時半に起きる。僕はまた新しい世界が広がることを肌で感じる。新しい規則、日々、そして新鮮な空気。僕は小学校のとき皆と自然の中での合宿へ行くのがとても嫌いだった。母親を頼りにしていた僕にとっては、彼女の居ない世界はパニックを起こすだけだった。友達がひどく冷たく、悪い子供たちに見えた、普通に接してくるというのに。飯盒を使って米を炊いたり、踊ったり、一緒に寝たり、いっせいに起きて。そう皆で食べて、まるで子供の兵隊だ。あの時は嫌だった

最後に起きてきたのはフランス人の女の子だ。僕は先にアメリカ人の男の子と仕事に出かける。3人の男がサンダルなしで高い木の上で枝を鎌で切っていた。注意深く僕はそれを拾う。まちがって大きな枝や鎌が落ちてこないか気をつけながら仕事をした。そのあとは朝御飯、オートミールのようなものがでる。まちがってぼくは砂糖を入れるつもりが塩を入れてしまう。

朝食のあとは大きな石でできた(厚さ15cm、幅50cm、長さ2mほど、たぶん70kgくらいでもみんなは100kgを軽く超えているという)スティックを運んで鍬で作った穴に入れるのを手伝った。その後鉄のワイヤーを石にまきつけてフェンスを作るようだ。アメリカ人の男の子は良くわからないと言う。ぼくも同じく何がしたいのかよくわからなかった。ワイヤーを張るのになぜこんな重いものを運ばなくてはいけないのだろうか?たぶんインド人のスタイルなんだろうな。とてもこれは要領が悪いと感じる。これは発展途上国だから?とても要領が悪い、都心では車が信号なんて守らないでめちゃくちゃに走る。だからいつも混雑している。たぶんこういう文化なのだろう。

昼食後僕らは一人のファーマーのところへいく。門の前に住んでいるのでぼくはドアマンと呼ぶ。彼の家がそこにある。たった二つの部屋しかなく、コンクリートか土で出来ているようだ。緑色のインドのドレスに身を包む女性がいる。美しい子供が二人。男の子と女の子。

ボランティアの皆はトラックに乗っかる。トラックをドアマンが止めるたびに僕らは切ってある植物をトラックにのせていく。ボランティアの人が前に切った特別な草のようだった。結構疲れる仕事だったがトラックの後ろに乗れて遊園地の乗り物に乗っているようではしゃいで愉しかった。
肥料を作る場所に行く途中、アメリカ人の男の子はアムラの実とレモンの木を見せてくれた。

レモンの木の葉からはとても良い匂いがした。アムラはそのとき食べようとは思わなかった、朝漬物になったものを食べてすごく苦かったからだ。それでぼくはポケットにしまうことにした。トラックは葉でいっぱいになったけれどドアマンはもっと積めもっと積めという。これがインドのやり方なんだなと僕は思う。ボランティアの皆は理解不能だった。けれども彼らがインド人がおかしな考えだと思うように、僕ら日本人に対しても同じようにおかしいと思うことがあるのだろうと感じた。(もちろんインドのやり方はぼくにとってもおかしいと思ったが)おかしなことは言ってしまえば世界でどこでも起きえる。自分の国を他の国と比べたら…
インドの都心でのことを思い出す。異常なほどのものを自転車、自動車、バイクに載せているのを見た。アメリカ人の男の子は2mほども椅子を積んだバイクを見たと言っていた。
これはとても要領が良いとは思えない…目的地まで行く前に葉が全部車から落ちてしまう。イギリスでもこんな要領の悪いことは沢山ある。けれどこんなことのためにもっと僕らの仕事量を増やして、人間っぽくするのだろうか?要領がいいということは人間らしいのだろうかそれとも逆だろうか?現代的?発達?イギリスは発達した国であるが日本と比べたらどうなのだろうか?要領がよいということは良いことだろうか悪いことだろうか?
仕事の後僕は待ち焦がれた皆が仕事後に入ってるスィミング・プールに飛び込みたいと思った。プールのあるところまでよじ登らないといけなくやっと着いた時その汚さに唖然とした。なんだか不思議な虫が気持ちよさそうにすいすい泳いでいるのを見て、ぞっとして入るのを断念した。


ディナー。ボスの奥さんがアメリカ人の男の子にこれは外にあったボールだから元の場所に戻しておいてとキッチンで言われる。彼は外のテーブルにあったボールをキッチンに持ってきたようだった。彼はよくわからず、謝って、そとの地べたに犬の寝ている横に置く。たぶん彼女は汚いもの(テーブルの上にあったのに?)をキッチンに持ってきたくなかったのだろう。シェフの召使がこりゃなんだとぼくらに聞く。外といったけれどまさか地面に置くとは思わなかった、きっと彼は困惑したんだと思う。ぼくはおかしくて仕様がなかった。僕が笑っているのをみて、彼はすこし恥ずかしそうにしていた。僕らは彼女の意図がよくわからなかった。いつも彼女は食べ物をよそうときはスプーンを使いなさいという。でも結局手で食べるのに清潔に清潔にというのが良くわからない。(手を洗いなさいとは一言もいったことがないのに)フランス人の女の子が「そう!フランス人は下品だって言うかもしれないけど!あなた達手でたべてるじゃない!」ここでは理にかなわないことが沢山おきると僕は皆に言う。カナダ人の女の子もフランス人の子も同意する。フランスの子が「もしいま私のママが私が手で食べているのを見たら、<なにやってんの?あなた豚にでもなったの???>っていうはずだわ。」と笑いながら僕らに話す。皆それを聞いて一斉に笑う。

No comments:

Post a Comment